Get excited....It's Competition Time!
Judging starts Friday March 9 2018 at 6:00 pm
• Best Learning experience!....Learn from the some of the best judges
• Just a lot of fun!....Sit with everyone in Club 79
• You have worked hard....Get the recognition you deserve
• Win some awards....Bling is always awesome
Image Competition Software printcompetition.com
Image Competition Resources Resource Page
2018 rules and deadlines will be updated by 12-1-17
PPAM PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGE COMPETITION RULES
The competition fine print
Please Read Carefully
Upload Image(s) & Case Registration Deadline for All Entries:
Case Arrival Deadline: (Images must be Uploaded as well)
(Please read below for more info on entry and deadline process)
This competition is a photographic competition where entries are evaluated against a standard of excellence using the 12 Elements of a Merit Image. (For more information, go to www.ppa.com/competitions/international.php. These rules pertain to images created by traditional photographic processes as well as those captured and/or manipulated electronically.
1. Entrant must have captured and created the original exposure.
2. Any entry that has been reproduced from an existing photograph, portrait, graphic or any other artwork produced by another person is a violation of the competition rules and will not be judged, accepted or displayed. If an entry, in the good faith opinion of the Photographic Exhibition Committee, violates copyright, trademark or any other applicable law, that entry shall be disqualified.
3. The entrant’s name must not be visible on the entry, or in file title.
4. A maximum of six entries may be submitted, plus physical prints for "Masters Choice" and “Creative Theme”, per entrant. 5.Imageprintcasesmustbepre-registeredandpre-paidandmaybehand deliveredorshipped (subject to PPAM Rules) on or before deadline. All entries must be pre-registered online.
6. No entry will be eligible if it has been made under the supervision of an instructor or as a class assignment (workshop or seminar).
7. No two entries may be of the same subject from one maker. Entries previously merited at any PPA International Competition are not eligible, including any image from a merited album.
8. Entry media includes prints, digital submissions, folios, physical albums and digital albums. 9. If an image is awarded an 80 or above score in any category of PPAM competition, it may not be entered to PPAM again in any other category, at any time by any entrant. No image that receives a merit may be entered more than once under any condition.
DEADLINES AND FEES
Entry fee is $15 per image and a maximum case fee of $75, max of 6 entries. Members can also enter a print into the Masters Choice and Creative Theme categories at no extra charge. Entry fee must be prepaid online before registration deadline of February 16th, 2017. Print cases must be received by case arrival deadline of February 17th, 2017.
To register for PPAM Competition, go to www.printcompetition.com, create an account (free registration for a new user/returning users $6/year for standard membership), log on with your new account, then choose PPAM from upcoming list of Photographic Competitions and follow directions. You must upload your image files and pay entry fee for entries (print and digital). For print entries, forms and labels must be printed and attached/enclosed from the online registration system in shipping case.
Registered print cases must be received by ...dates coming soon.
Digital only LATE submissions after dates coming soon will incur an additional fee of $30.
PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGE COMPETITION CATEGORIES
You must designate one of the below categories for each entry:
1. Portrait: Photographs depicting people or pets are allowed in this category. No images of brides or pictures involving weddings or other social events.
2. Illustrative: Consists of scenic, commercial, still life and similar subject matter. (Portraits and weddings are not appropriate for this category.)
3. Wedding/Event: All photographs pertaining to weddings or social events MUST
be entered in the Wedding/Event category. (Do not enter albums in this category.)
4. Conceptual Imaging/Digitally Manipulated: (formerly known as EI: Electronic Imaging). This redefined category is judged with emphasis in the creative use of manipulation through any means of imaging. It is not intended to be merely images that have been retouched, enhanced or printed digitally, but allowing the creative process to create images that break the rules and go beyond traditional print competition criteria.
5. Album: Any wedding, social event and portrait session album is to be entered in this category. They must be designated as created by one or multiple photographers. Each photographer must be listed on entry label and is considered an entry for each photographer. All albums will be judged and scored in this category. More than one album may be entered per entrant. Only one Court of Honor will be awarded to either single or multi-maker albums.
PHOTOGRAPHIC PRINT ONLY COMPETITION CATEGORIES
1. Folio: Folio competition entries must be from a single session, from any subject matter except weddings. Any size or combination of prints and media may be used in creation of the folio. No folio size restrictions. Prints only, no digital submission. There is no fee to enter this category, but at least one paid case entry must be submitted to qualify for award.
2. Masters Choice:
a) All photographs submitted for this special award must be clearly marked on the reverse side of their mounts, “Masters Choice Award”. Entries not so marked will be disqualified.
b) All photographs submitted for this award must be EXPOSED, PRINTED and FINISHED by the submitting photographer without benefit of assistance. All retouching and corrective art work must be performed entirely by the photographer. *Please note, these entries do not need to be printed for competition density.
c) A signed statement by the entrant attesting to the above specifications must be affixed to the back of the entry. (find below) Entries not bearing this statement will be disqualified.
d) Photographs must be specifically submitted for this award and will not be included in the general judging and will not receive a score.
e) Only one entry per member will be accepted in this category.
f) All PPAM members who hold the PPA degree “Master of Photography” who are present at the convention shall act as a judging panel for this competition. A minimum of 3 Masters will constitute a quorum. Judging time shall be announced.
g) Photographs submitted for this award shall adhere to the same mount requirements as the general competition. No Digital entries accepted. Prints Only.
h) Masters Choice Award entries must be included in the same case as the regular print entries.
i) Entrants must be a PPAM member for a minimum of two years to qualify for this category.
j) Entrants cannot be a PPA Master of Photography to enter.
3. Creative Theme: Members may enter one 16”x20” mounted print depicting this year’s creative theme “TOUCH” included in their salon case. There is no fee to enter this category, but at least one paid case entry must be submitted to qualify for award. Image must be registered through the online system. The print committee encourages everyone to enter! Prints Only.
a.) Photographs must be specifically submitted for this award and will not be included in the general judging and will not receive a score.
PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHERS ASSOCIATION OF MASSACHUSETTS AWARDS
PPAM gives awards to members of our organization and considers members with out of state primary residences eligible if they have five (5) consecutive years of membership in PPAM. The prestigious Out of State Court of Honor is the only award given to a non-member.
1. Photographic Excellence Award: This award is based on image competition performance. The score of this competition is the highest total average score from the top four entries 80 or more from an entrant. If six qualifying entries were submitted, only the top four scores over 80 will be considered in determining the average. Scores under 80 will not be included in the total. The recipient will receive a trophy.
2. Court of Honors: Total of six awards, one awarded in each category: Portrait, Wedding/Social Event, Illustrative/Unclassified, Conceptual Imaging, Album Entry, and Out of State Entry. Each recipient of a Court of Honor will receive a plaque.
3. The Highest Scoring Print sponsored by ACI. This is chosen from all the photographic categories and will receive a trophy. This is for PRINTS ONLY.
4. The Highest Scoring Image by a First Time Entrant will receive a $100 cash award given by PPAM and a trophy.
5. The Highest Scoring Image by an ASP member will receive a special trophy from the American Society of Photographers.
6. The Creative Theme winner will be chosen by membership VOTE. Entries must be PRINTS ONLY. Winner receives a trophy.
7. The Highest Scoring Image by a Certified Professional Photographer will receive
the CPP Award from the Professional Photographic Certification Commission.
8. The PPAM Specialty Award is chosen by our judges during the awards selection process. The “Specialty” this year is of WEDDINGS. Entries can be digital or prints, but must be client work. The winner of this award will receive a gift certificate to a supporting vendor.
9. Highest Scoring Folio Award is granted to the highest scoring folio. Will receive a plaque.
10. Master’s Choice Award is selected by PPAM Masters. Holders of the PPA Master's degree are not eligible for this award. This is for PRINTS ONLY. Winner receives a trophy.
11. Sunset Print Award sponsored by Lexjet. Judges will choose this award from top 10 scoring prints (must have scored 80 +). All inkjet-printed entries are eligible to win the “Best Print in Exhibition” Sunset Award. Print does not need to be on Lexjet Sunset paper, but if so it is eligible for an additional award. One Sunset Print award given per year. Label provided below is for eligible entries for Lexjet Sunset Award.
12.“WHCC WOW Award” The print that displays the most impact or WOW factor selected from the printed entries. This award will be selected by the panel of official judges of the PPAM competition for the photograph with the most impact. Receives the honor of a plaque sponsored by WHCC.
Entrants may submit either prints (photographic or press printed images presented for judging under lights) or digital submissions (digital files presented for judging on a monitor), or a combination of either entry type. **Competition prints are typically printed 10-15% darker than regular prints so that lighter areas do not wash-out under the bright lights (f/16, 1 second, ISO100). You can ask your lab to do this for you, by choosing “Print for Competition Density”. **You do not need to do this for Digital Entries, or for Creative Theme or Masters’ Choice print entries).
1. Entrants may submit printed images of any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24 inches. (Recommended mounting thickness is 1/8” to 3/8”.)
2. Print entries must be mounted on standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board,1⁄4”foam,orSintra).“Float”mountingisacceptedatthe entrant’sriskfordamage. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
See digital entry tutorial at www.ppa.com/competitions/international.php.
Files must be sized so the longest dimension is 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi). Each file must contain an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Total file size should not exceed 7.5 MB. Name files: Image_Title.jpg (use _ for spaces), i.e. “See_Spot_Run.jpg” Do NOT put the maker’s name in the title.
Album entries may be submitted in the form of a physical album (an album printed and bound as a book for judging under lights), or a digital album (a set of digital files to be judged as sequential layouts on monitors). You must designate either “digital” or “print” for each entry: Note: Multi- maker and single-maker albums will be judged as one category.
Physical (Print) Album Entry
Album covers must be between 63- 400 square inches. No multiple volume albums are allowed. Any studio identification or entrant’s name in the traditional album must be covered.
Digital Album Entry
See digital entry tutorial at www.ppa.com/competitions/international.php.
All page/spread files must have the longest file dimension at 4,000 pixels (20 inches at 200 ppi), have an embedded color profile of either sRGB or Adobe RGB1998 and be saved at a JPEG quality setting of 10. Each page/spread file may contain as many images as you desire. An entry may contain up to 36 page/spread files. Files are to be numbered in viewing order using two digits (i.e., 01.jpg, 02.jpg, 03.jpg, etc.). All individual files must be placed in a folder named: Album_Title (use _ for spaces, e.g., Summer_Wedding). Studio identification or entrant’s name cannot appear on any file within the album entry.
Multi-Maker Album Entry
The makers of a multi-maker album MUST belong to the same state (MA) to be eligible for an award. Images in the album must be the work of the entrants, with a minimum of 20 images per entrant. Multi-maker albums will be judged as one entry and receive one award if it qualifies.
DEADLINES & FEES
Entry fee is $15 per image, maximum case of $75, and each entry MUST be prepaid AND uploaded ONLINE before the Competition deadline of February 16, 2017, 11pm, and all print entries must be received by 5pm on February 17, 2017. Digital only - LATE submissions after Feb 16th, 2017 and before Feb 23th, 2017 will incur an additional fee of $30.
SHIPPING & DELIVERY INSTRUCTIONS OF PRINT ENTRIES
Info coming soon
Prints must be shipped in an approved, secure, reusable shipping container commonly known as a “Print Case.” The hand delivery deadline for folios and printed albums is accepted.
Print case return shipping fee is $25 per case, payable upon registration online. You may alternatively enclose a fully prepaid FedEx or UPS shipping document or label.
*All cases will be available for pick-up on February 27th by noon. Any case not accounted for will be taken home by the Chairperson and will be your responsibility to arrange for pick-up or shipping. The Print Committee, Chairperson, or PPAM, are not responsible for any lost cases or albums if not picked up at the Convention.*
Note: Failure to comply with these rules may result in disqualification of entry. The decision of the Photographic Competition Committee and the Competition Chair is final.
Please see the next page for Master’s Choice Affidavit and Sunset Print Award Label to include with your Master’s Choice and Lexjet Sunset Award submissions.
For more information, please contact: 2018 PPAM Image Competition Co-Chairs
Ann Dreiker and Scott Levine
PPAM Master’s Choice Entry Affidavit
I certify that I am the sole creator of this image entry for the PPAM Masters Choice Category. I exposed, edited, printed and finished it without the benefit of assistance of any other person.
Sunset Print Award Rules and Qualifications:
All inkjet-printed entries are eligible to win the “Best Print in Exhibition” Sunset award
Entries need not be printed on Sunset inkjet media to win, but must be inkjet-printed
An image must be submitted and be judged as a print
The image must score >80 points during the PPA-style judging
The image must be chosen from the 10 highest scoring prints in the competition
The image cannot have won a Sunset award previously
The image must adhere to all rules and qualifications of the host print competition
The entrant must have all releases and permission of all subjects appearing in the image
More info can be found at: http://www.sunsetprint.com/2017-sunset-print-award